[Gpdd] MISC: Piggies in Hawaii are okay

Michael Tanaka mtanaka at hawaii.edu
Fri Oct 20 13:31:43 EDT 2006

Hello everyone and everypig!  I'm posting because there were some concerns
about the earthquake in Hawaii.  I was a bit sick and I wasn't near a
computer for a few days so my response to our friends was slow.  Sorry for
worrying eveyrone!!

Yes, on Sunday, we had a 6.7 magnitude earthquake and a couple minutes later
a 6.0.  We didn't know that we were 'top story' because there was an island
wide blackout, so no cable/tv, no electricity, we had to conserve water,
most people had no phone service, but there was one radio station.

I never get up early on a sunday, but for some reason, I was awake.
Luckily, I was lying on the floor with my foot up on a stool touching
Blossom and Baby Truffles' pen.  The earthquake hit at 7:07 a.m.  I thought
the two were running around their pen even though it didn't sound like it,
so that's when I put my foot on the floor and then I felt my body 'sway' and
things fell off a shelf.  After it was over, I ran to the door to look
outside.  Michael came running out of the bedroom as the earthquake had
woken him up.  He said he saw things swaying and rattling.  Then the power
went out and we didn't have power until later that night.  Also, phone
circuits were busy, so no phone service for us.

My parents live on the Big Island, we're on Oahu, so they were a few miles
away from where the earthquake was centered.  They said things fell off
counters and shelves.  My Mom had been standing when it hit so she nearly
fell over.  My Dad was sitting so he grabbed the table.  They sustained
hairline cracks in their ceiling.

For us, it was raining when the earthquake hit and that whole day.  The next
day, Momday, the heavy rains hit the Big Island which, on top of everything
else, caused flooding.  Everyone is still assessing the damages but so far
no one was injured.

Mini, Peppermint, Blossom and Baby Truffles are okay.  Looking back, they
seemed quiet shortly before the earthquake hit.  But nothing fell on them
and nothing happened to them, so they're okay.

Since no one had electricity, the businesses that use gas or have back up
generators were serving food. Whatever markets and food places were open had
loooong lines

Again, sorry for worrying everyone!!!  And thanks for everyone's concern!!!!

>From the island of Oahu in the state of Hawaii,

Corrine and Michael and our four female piggies---Mini, Peppermint, Blossom,
Baby Truffles