[Gpdd] CARE: 3 boars together

Moxie and Nexus moxie17 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 21 19:51:23 EDT 2006

Hi,
  I have three boars living together--Smudge, Ziggy, and Chuckie.  Chuckie can be an instigator, but Smudge keeps him in line.  Smudge purrs a lot.  Ziggy is a bit on the timid side and has his special corner where he sleeps to stay out of Chuckie's way.
  Occassionally I hear teeth chattering, but that is rare.  They have never bitten each other or gotten into fights.  When I first introduced Chuckie to Smudge and Ziggy, he used to pick on Ziggy.  I think they coexist pretty well.  As far as an alpha male, Chuckie thinks it's him, but I think Smudge is the real boss.  It's just like ferrets.  I used to have all male ferrets.  The first one was the dominant one.  There was a definite pecking order, but they all got along.  I have three houses for the pigs in the pen.  They each have their own, but they change off.  And the best benefit of all is that Smudge was getting a bit heavy being by himself.  Now he is a trim pig because Chuckie keeps him moving.
  The pen is large enough for the three, and when I travel I put them in a cage together, and there are no problems.
  When I brought Chuckie home from the store, he had bite marks on him.  I call him the wood chuck.  He is a dutch pig, white with brown markings around the face.  My pigs chase each other at times, but as long as there is no biting, I don't see any reason why they can't be together.  Smudge and Chuckie sometimes go nose to nose and Smudge does a lot of "talking", but no fights.  As far as their ages, Smudge is two, Ziggy is one, and Chuckie is probably 1.5.

Moxie, Nexus, Smudge, Ziggy, and Chuckie
God Bless America
In God We Trust