[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE - more new arrivals at Piggyfriends!!

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Oct 23 14:51:54 EDT 2006

I know, from all the emails that I received, that many of you were interested in the story of Cadbury and Bramley. The story continues.........

I had a call today from the granny of the family who had owned those poor little boys. A neighbour of the family had called in and said something to effect that " as you no longer have your guinea pigs, you can have mine " and expected them to take in two more. Granny, seeing that they had been unable to cope with the original two, phoned me and asked if I could give a home to these new ones.

I can never say "no" to a piggy in need so I agreed to take them in. So, off I went again today to the Village of the Damned. ( Have you ever seen the old film where everyone stands and stares at visitors!) This was to be my third visit there to collect unwanted piggies. I took home an unwanted litter a few years ago from some very odd people but that is a story for another time. It seems to be a very strange place, where everyone appears to be related to everyone else, and strangers are not welcome. I expect the X-files music to play when I arrive.

It was not as simple as I had expected. Yes, there were two guinea pigs, but one of them lived with a rabbit and the "owner" said that if I didn't take the rabbit, then I could only have the other pig. What was I to do with a rabbit? I share my house with a whole herd of piggies but have nowhere to keep a rabbit. My piggy pens have low sides and could not contain a rabbit, which would need a considerable amount of space to itself. If I took the one pig, then I could never have forgiven myself for leaving the other one stuck in a miserable cage in the rain.

Step forward a true heroine!! I phoned Chris of Cavies Castle to see if she knew of anyone who did rabbit rescue. She has a houserabbit herself and I hoped that she might be able to help. A few quick calls later and she had lined up a new home for the rabbit and agreed to keep it at her home until it could be collected. So, pretending that I was going to have the rabbit myself, I loaded them all into the car and set off for Cavies Castle.

Chris had a big pen set up for the rabbit when I arrived and gave the little piggies a quick check up too. They are both in much better condition than Cadbury and Bramley, though the little girl that had been kept with the rabbit is terrified and hides in the corner. The little boar is a bit more confident and munched some cucumber on the way to Cavies Castle. He is easier to handle but give them time and lots of good food and they should recover. I don't know their ages. They look very small compared to my plump piggies but most newcomers do.

Cadbury and Bramley are improving with each new day. They are eating really well and their coats are growing back. Cadbury will let me pick him up without a struggle but Bramley is not too sure about it all yet. They will never grow to the size of their brother, Rye, but I hope that a good long life is ahead of them.

A medal to Chris at Cavies Castle!!

Sorry that this is so long ( this is the condensed version of the story!!)

Regards from Penny and the Piggyfriends.

PS The new piggies had no names so I have called the girl Hope and the boy Halloween ( as it nearly is).