[Gpdd] CARE new piglet

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Oct 26 15:53:02 EDT 2006

Congratulations on the safe arrival of baby Shakira!

Baby piggies are born with enough nourishment in their bodies to last them for 12-24 hours as the mother's milk doesn't come in until several hours after she has given birth. By the time that you read this, I am sure that Carmen will be suckling her babe.

I'm sorry that you had a stillborn babe but at least Carmen is OK. Most piggies give birth without any trouble and you shouldn't need to do anything for her other than put lots of good food in front of her. If you think that the babe is not suckling, you can check that Carmen's milk is coming by gently squeezing each nipple.

As new born piggies are so well developed it is not hard to hand rear them if necessary. They only suckle for about 3 weeks.

Best wishes to you all from Penny and the Piggyfriends.