[Gpdd] [GPDD] Care - Safe food

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 00:16:40 EDT 2006

Bethany - Thanks so much for the warning about the hay. Although we
  don't usually go into brand names here, it might be a good idea in this
  case to help prevent illness. Around here, WalMart carries KayTee,
  Hartz, and another brand or two. Most look like old dead grass clippings,
  and smell about the same. We love the KayTee Timothy and Alfalfa both,
  but I always look at it, feel it and especially smell it. If it doesn't smell
  good, we don't buy it.  But it sounds like what you found was either
  packaged wet or got that way somewhere along the way. Was it still
  green?  You'd think they would take better care - hay that either gets
  wet or is baled too 'green', then gets hot, is liable to spontaneously
  combust - and I doubt WM wants a fire in their stores or warehouses.
  But moldy or mildewed hay (or any other food) can cause some very
  serious problems - can even be fatal. And not everyone is going to
  pay attention to what they've got. What if there is some person out
  there just going through the motions, tossing out some food to an
  animal, paying to attention (or not knowing)?  Please contact the
  store managers (I'd speak to more than one), make sure they
  understand the seriousness of the situation, and that there are
  a number of us watching (they don't have to know where we all
  are!). When I find something that is bad, now I mark on it, like a
  big black "X", so they don't put it back on the shelf for the next
  unsuspecting customer (I've seen things on the shelf that I had
  returned).  Anyway, let's all take the time to speak up so they
  can't get away with this sort of thing. Maybe they don't mean to,
  and just aren't aware. Maybe. Which reminds me . . . I recently
  found at least half a dozen 25 lb bags of piggie feed on the shelf
  at a local animal feed supply store that was WAY out of date.
  I mentioned it to them, and they were aware of it, but didn't make
  a move to do anything about it. I plan to contact Purina first of
  the week to notify them - this should be removed from the shelf.
  It may not cause immediate harm, but what good is it if the
  essential nutrients aren't there? If that's all the little pigs are
  getting to eat, they could get ill without their vit C, etc.
  Thanks for the heads up!

  Likewise, thanks to Janneke for the warning on the Satin's health
  condition, the bone disease. I had not heard of this condition, and
  we do have some Satin piggies.
  I have bookmarked the website, and we will investigate this.

  Shauna - Poor little Quentin!  We have 3 or 4 here who seem to
  have chronic respiratory problems, off and on. Probably allergies
  as well. Antibiotics don't seem to help. Our vet had suggested
  Sudafed (children's, liquid), but a friend recommended Chlortrimeton
  (I get the generic tablets and cut them in 1/4, then dissolve in a bit
  of warm water, adding a couple drops of vit C).
  Have you looked for the source of the allergies? Maybe switch hay
  or bedding? Even try hay cubes for a while instead of hay, which
  can be dusty. (we get a 50 lb bag of the hay cubes at the feed
  store for around $8, and they're nice and fresh)
  Also, foods rich in vit C are good, like kale and romaine, etc.
  What's helped most?  Dandelion greens! Just have to take care
  that they're not contaminated with anything, and I still rinse them
  off (makes 'em tastier anyway!).
  At 3.2 lbs, Quentin does sound like a healthy boy!

  Leah - Congrats on the house! As for the lawn, I would think it should
  be ok to follow the lawn co's recommendations right now to get it
  started - BS & BB aren't going to be out on it this winter, are they?
  And I don't think lime is considered a chemical, it's natural and
  should be safe to use on the lawn. Next spring should be soon
  enough to worry about what's on it. Then, I'd want a fence around
  the yard, to keep other varmints out, and a pen around the pigs,
  besides you being right there every minute. You could hose off
  the area a while before taking them out, but of course don't set
  them on wet grass. But residue from bird or rabbit droppings can
  be dangerous . . . not to mention hawks swooping down,  stray
  dogs dashing in, etc, there are so many dangers outdoors.
  I'd rather try to develop a nice lawn that you could bring some
  trimmings from for the piggies (besides, if it's too perfect, where
  would you get the delicous dandelions and clovers?).
  (Carla - you made some really good points - everyone should
  have such a reputable lawn guy!) btw- vinegar is also good to
  mix with water and spray on plants to control pests,and it
  will rinse right off.

  Janet- thanks for the info on the Metatone. I didn't think it was
  going to be available in the States, but will ask around. (I'd sent
  a request to Pfizer about it, but was just sent a generic response)

  Susi  & the OP's
  (Snowy says, "what more important topic than food?!!")