[Gpdd] Health-Question about breathing.

Folly Farm lfolly at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 2 19:12:02 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions about our newest pig, Delaney.  We adopted her from a shelter a few months ago and she had a sort of rattling sound that seemed to be coming from her nose.  The vet said it was 1 of 3 things: pneumonia, asthma or lung tumors.  He suggested first putting her on Baytril for 10 days.  This seemed to clear it up, so after a few weeks, we put her with the other 5 pigs.  Then it started up again.  We took her back to the vet, and this time he did a few x-rays and listened to her lungs, heart, etc.  Her lungs were completely clear.  He said there was no sign of pneumonia, asthma or tumors on the x-rays.  So he said whatever it was must be in her throat or nose, so this time he put her on baytril for 3 weeks.  It's been 2 1/2 and she's still rattling and has the bare wrists from rubbing her nose.  I don't use any kinds of shavings, I use multi-layers of newspaper, then shredded newspaper that I clean every day.  None of my other pigs have caught anything.  She has a normal appetite and runs and popcorns around her exercise pen like a triathelete on 5 cups of coffee.  We're taking her back to the vet next week, but in the mean time does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be?  Or even  had a pig with similar symptoms?  I appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Lisa Stanley
& the Herd:  Brody, Keely, Shayla, Genevyeve, Bronwyn & Delaney