[Gpdd] Health Care: Duct Tape

James Lynn jimmarg.lynn at juno.com
Mon Sep 4 08:36:12 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may recall that my Ginger passed away a couple of weeks ago.
A few days ago I made a horrible discovery that may have caused her
death.

Ginger was bloated the day before she died so I checked on Peter Gurney's
website for a possible cause.  One of the things he mentioned was that
maybe the guinea pig had eaten something and that it was lodged in the
intestines and would not pass on through the body, thus causing the
bloating.

I was having a problem with the water bottle staying in place so I
fastened a small piece of wood to the inside of the cage and then
fastened the water bottle to it by using duct tape.  Well..........a few
days after Ginger died I discovered that part of the duct tape had been
eaten.  I am not sure that this was the cause of death but I have removed
the duct tape and now just use a plain ol' water dish.

You may want to check your cages and pens for any kind of plastic or tape
that your piggers can nibble on; it might save a life.

Jim..............Olivia  (and remembering Koko, Abby, Sassy Suzy,
Ginger, and Speedy)