[Gpdd] Health:bloating

Leila Baldridge keegsmom at cablelynx.com
Fri Sep 8 14:14:33 EDT 2006

Hi Laura,
For mild cases of bloating you can use Simethicone drops--they are available at most pharmacies. A brand name is Mylicon. You could ask the pharmacist for infant strength simethicone if you don't see it. Guinealynx  www.guinealynx.com recommends half the pediatric dosage. On Dales Siglers piggie pages http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/2517/ he states:

 Simethicone is the ingredient you are looking for and make sure it's the infant or pediatric type which includes a dropper to dispense the liquid. You can give your pig 1/2 to 1 full dropper every 3-4 hours.

As far as I know Simethicone is very safe and can relieve mild bloat or gassiness. But please see your vet immediately if Cappy seems ill (less active, not eating well, change in poos (either diarrhea or fewer poos, or seeming in pain when trying to pass poo). Bloat can be very serious in itself, and it can be a symptom of life threatening illness. Its so scary that piggies hide illness so well that they are often seriously ill before we realize it.

Best of luck, and healing wheeks to little Cappy!
Leila and the Six Little Pigs