[Gpdd] Male Boar Behaviour

Trekbuffy at aol.com Trekbuffy at aol.com
Sun Sep 10 09:47:20 EDT 2006

Hi I have two boars called Footsie and Leo and they live together in a big
cage. I got them form a rescue about a month ago. They had only been together
for a month when I got them and they are both 1 year old. I have trouble with
Leo because he seems to bully Footsie every now and again by chasing Footsie
out  of his resting spot and away form his food, so Leo always wants to be or
have  what Footsie has or is.

Since I have moved the cage closer to me they seem to be better which is  odd
but Leo still annoys Footsie occasionally and it is starting to frustrate
me. I don't know whether to split the cage up with wire so they can still see
each other?

Another thing is that they don't wheek when I come in in the morning to  give
them their food which I think is strange but sad for me because it seems
they are not excited to see me and since I removed their houses they now hide
under the hay and they won't even come to the cage door when it is feeding time.
 I am not sure what I can do to make them excited to see me.

Also both boys keep scratching and have sensitive skin and Footsie has  scabs
but they have both been treated with Ivomectin and both have baths and  have
seen guinea pig rodentologists who live in Hastings at Cavies Castle. It is
all a worry for me as I have had guinea pigs before and they weren't like this
so I don't know what to do.

The rescue person who I got them from will be coming for a checkup soon and
am worried she will take them away from me when she hears Leo bullies Footsie,
 but I'm hoping she won't and maybe she would swap Leo for a younger boar.

I hope someone could give me advice on what to do.

Thanks Sarah