[Gpdd] HEALTH--bladder stones

Bradley, Stephen G SGBRADLEY at PARTNERS.ORG
Sun Sep 10 18:31:30 EDT 2006

When the first pig who lived with us, Niles, had blood in his urine, our vet
told us about Shilintong (sp. iffy), a chinese herb.  We had to buy it on-line,
'cause it doesn't seem to be too well-known outside guinea pig and/or chinese
herbalist circles, but we ground up tablets of it and syringed it to him in
water for several weeks and were pretty happy with the results.

Basically, the bleeding and crying stopped, and he mostly was free of urinary
problems, aside from once in a while a little pink in the pee.  He lived another
year and a half, and we're not sure what he ultimately expired from, but as far
as we know it wasn't connected at all.

I've heard other pig people speak positively about it also, but I also know a
vet person who was kind of negative about it, but especially if you're thinking
that putting him to sleep is the only other reasonable option, I would
definitely try it.

Steve Bradley