[Gpdd] [PETER GURNEY] A Wonderful Gift

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Mon Sep 11 04:29:36 EDT 2006

I just wanted to let you all know that, thanks to Peter Gurney, the Dolly
Mixtures and I now have two new, Parisien friends. They are the first French
people we have met who are, as someone on here once so aptly described Dustin
Hoffman, "one of us", and we only met because of the guestbook on Peter
Gurney's  website. I had posted my own best wishes when he was ill, and mentioned
that it  was not just in Britain and the States that he was much appreciated, but
also by  those in France with no access to decent piggie vet care. This
trainee vet  nurse, Nelly, who shares her bedroom with her partner, Seb, and about
40 rescued  guinea pigs, is an "antispeciesists", which means they, like me,
consider all animals to be of equal worth to homo sapiens, not inferior.

Nelly had corresponded with Peter Gurney in the past (her English is
excellent, although I insist we correspond in French!), and saw my posting  in his
guestbook, and emailed me because she saw that, like her, I lived in  France. We
have corresponded by email ever since, and on Saturday, she and Seb  came to
visit! They brought, just for the Dolly Mixtures, 2 big trays of apples,  a
tray of huge tomatoes and another of huge peaches, plus some very expensive
catfood for our two poorly cats, Daisy and Safran, and some Bactrim for
Cannelletto, who had just developed an URI - the piggies thought it was  Christmas
come early!! They told us of an excellent piggie vet in Paris, whom we  could use
in an extreme emergency, to save going to the UK, and I gave them the  first
part of the Rodentology Course I had bought years ago from the CCT, which  was
way above my head!

We are so, so glad to have found each other, as genuine piggie slaves are
incredibly rare here in France. Apparently there is a French piggie forum, but
it is more concerned with breeding for profit than how slaves can best serve
their masters, so Nelly subscribes to English-speaking ones - including the
gpdd, so if you are reading this, Nelly - Salut!! But she did say she doesn't
like the email format, she prefers forums, unlike me, who much prefers the
Daily  Email! I'm afraid I talked so much that they didn't have time to stay for
the  dessert I had prepared - we couldn't force them to stay, not knowing
there were  40-odd very spoiled piggies awaiting their evening meal on their
return! You all  know how it is - when two or more devoted piggie slaves get
together ..... time  evaporates!! So next time (which will, I'm sure, be one of
many!), they will  find a replacement slave and stay the night here - I still have
ALL my piggie  photos to show them....!

I wanted everyone to know that, even though his physical presence is no
longer with us, Peter is still working in mysterious ways for the benefit of
piggies and their slaves everywhere!

Wheeks to everyone

Debbie (and the 16 very appreciative Dolly  Mixtures)