[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] male boar behaviour (Leo and Footsie)

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Sep 11 15:43:17 EDT 2006

Sorry to read that you are having problems with your boys. Don't forget that you can always ring Chris at Cavies Castle for advice. She's not just there for medical problems. The Piggyfriends piggies are regular visitors!

I am sure that, given time, your boys will be excited to see you and their food but, don't forget, they have had several upheavals in their short lives. From their original owners to the rescue place, where they only stayed for a month and then on to you. It is a lot for a piggy to take in.

I would certainly put their houses back into their cage. They might like the security of somewhere to hide from the world if not from each other. The rescue place might not have introduced them very well and they just don't get on. Without wishing to cast aspersions on the rescue, some places pair up boars just to get them re-homed.

Did Chris give you a bottle of her excellent Vet-Sect shampoo? If so, another vigorous shampoo might be needed. I recently took in two boars with horrible coats and it cleared it up really well. These two had come from an unsuitable home and were terrified to come out of their houses when anyone was about. They just sneaked out to grab food when they thought that no-one was looking. It took many weeks for them to settle down but now they come rushing over and shout for their meals with the rest of the herd.

Leave them to get on with business of being guinea pigs and I am sure that they will be friendly to you soon enough.

If they really don't get on, I would divide their home. One of my rescued boars won't live with any other piggy so he lives in a divided pen where he can chat to the piggies next door and have the companionship without the aggression. It works very well.

I am sure that if you explain the situation to the rescue person when they call they will be pleased that you are taking such good care of them.

Hope it all works out for you.

Regards from Penny and the Piggyfriends.