[Gpdd] MISC getting a new pig after the loss of another

DFHAKES at aol.com DFHAKES at aol.com
Mon Sep 11 19:11:17 EDT 2006

Ginger and Nosy,

It's very understandable that you would feel torn about still grieving the
loss of a pig while being excited about getting a new pig.  For me, it's  the
excitement of being able to provide a good, loving home for a deserving  pig.
You'll have to be the judge of what's best for Nosy, but you'll want  to
quarantine and new pig for 2-3 weeks.

We lost three pigs within 3-4 months of each other.  Penny was lonely  and
the house was empty with just one pig.  About that time, Deb Ganley  told me
about adopting a female who turned out to be pregnant and had four  little
babies.  I remember feeling guilty about adopting cute babies,  because I thought
that I had the knowledge and resources to adopt a more senior  pig.  On the
other hand, it was so hard losing three pigs in a row that the  idea of having
young, healthy pigs was appealing.

So we adopted Lucy and Mina at 8 weeks of age.  Penny instantly became  a
foster mom.  Soon after we brought the babies home, we told them about  Buddy and
Beethoven and Silky and how they were very special pigs and how the  babies
would always have a safe home with us.  Both pigs listened intently,
especially Mina.  So I suppose that was our little ritual to welcome the  new pigs but
to remember the dear angels at the same time.

Our little babies are now two years old and enjoying their dinner.   They're
more independent now but always look to Penny when  frightened.

Regards,

Dana F. Hakes
Chapter Manager
Tampa Bay House  Rabbit Society
Please check out our rabbit information and lists of adoptable  rabbits at:_
www.tampabayhrs.org_ (http://www.tampabayhrs.org/)
http://wwww.tampabayhrs.petfinder.com (check out our  new Petfinder address!)

"It doesn't matter what the kids say. Rabbits  are not disposable like a box
of cereal or a Disney video. They WILL get tired  of the rabbits and go on to
the next toy. YOU will have to deal with the  consequences. Unfortunately,
most people deal with the situation by DUMPING  their rabbits on someone else.
Ultimately, it is the bunny that pays for your  inability to say NO."