[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Parsley and bladderstones

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Sep 12 06:49:37 EDT 2006

I was interested to read the posts about bladderstones being caused by parsley.

I have always fed parsley to my piggies and it is one of the things that I grow for them as it is high in vitamin C. I have never had any problems with bladderstones so I asked my dear friend Chris who runs Cavies Castle, a guinea pig health clinic, what she knew about this.

She said that at various times just about everything has been blamed for bladderstones without any proof and she considers that fed in moderation, parsley is no more to blame than anything else. She gives parsley to her own piggies and to all her patients.

There is always some health scare or another in the news with regard to human food and this is probably the same.

Anyway, I will continue to feed parsley in moderation ( obviously no-one is going to feed huge piles of it to the exclusion of other piggy goodies ) as I would not want them to miss out on a favourite nibble.

The only veg that my piggies never have is spinach as I detest it and therefore do not grow it!

It will be interesting to read any other comments that you all may have.

Penny and the Piggyfriends in England.