[Gpdd] [MISC] getting a new pig after the loss of another-responses and more thoughts

Ginger Hoffman gingera at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 12 12:56:57 EDT 2006

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my questions about
getting a new pig after losing one.  I'm really glad to hear I'm not
alone in being a little addicted to searching petfinder, even in times
of sorrow :).  I know that I will never be "over" Wallie--I will always
miss him intensely.  I also know that I do want to get another piggy at
some point.  I have the room and time for two piggies, and there are so
so many homeless ones, that I can't imagine not taking another in. (I
think petfinder has something like 1400 homeless piggies on it across
the nation!!!  it's so sad!!)

I have emailed the woman from craigslist and am going to meet "micky"
on saturday!!!!  (I may rename him--what are everyone's thoughts on
renaming??).  If all goes well, I will take him home and quarantine him
for 3 weeks.  Then, I'll do the introductions.  If they don't get
along, I can divide their cage (it's a 4 x 3.5 C&C, so I can make it
into two 2 x 3.5 areas--that's what I eventually had to do with Nosy
and Wallie).

I will also definitely sit down and have a little talk/memorial with
Nosy and the new piggie about Wallie --just telling them what a great
family we have, and that it's important to remember the ones who have
departed..  I think that's a very nice tradition.

A last minute question, though--does anyone know of any spayed females
near boston?  if so, I might cancel the appt. to meet Micky (I left it
a little tentative, but am overall just really excited about him!).
Maren suggested this might be a good option for Nosy, and I agree (I
don't want to get him neutered..). I looked on petfinder, and none of
the females near me are spayed, that I can tell.

I will keep you all updated, and I'm interested to hear of any more
traditions you might have for welcoming a new pig (besides the usual
showing of a million veggies and a HUGE pile of hay to dive into) :)

warm wheeks,
Ginger and Nosophoros (and Wallie, forever in our hearts)