[Gpdd] [HEALTH] treatment for mites and other bugs

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Sep 14 16:38:51 EDT 2006

In response to the posts about treatment for bugs of varying kinds, I was unable to get hold of any Ivermectin ( Ivomec - same thing ) for a while and my vet advised the use of Advantage too. I used the one for small dogs/cats under 4kg.and rabbits. It comes in a pack of four little tubes and my vet suggested using one tube for 2 guineas if over 1kg or one tube for 4 guineas under a kg. I never used it on young pigs so I don't know if it would be safe for them. The contents of the tube is squeezed onto the skin behind the head so that it cannot be licked. I would wait for it to dry before putting the piggy back with his/her friends.

Now that I can get Ivomec again I have gone back to using it. I can buy it in little squeezy bottles which dispense one drop at a time. All the piggies over 3 months old get 1 to 2 drops orally ( depending on their size )  every three months.

At the same time all the piggies over 3 months old get a dose of wormer. I've used Panacur ( it's really for sheep ) and now have Valbazan. The dose is 0.4mg orally via a syringe. Use a little less for a small piggy.

With all this lot, the bugs don't stand a chance!

The piggies also get shampooed with the wonderful Vet-Sect which clears away bugs and scurfy bits and leaves them lovely and clean. Some of them even enjoy it! ( Some don't ).

Regards to all from Penny and the Piggyfriends.