[Gpdd] [Health] Bladder problems

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Fri Sep 15 01:06:49 EDT 2006

My Phoebe had the same problem. Has your vet detected blood in your
guinea pig's urine? A stone will more than likely (not always) show
up in an X-ray. Tumours will not. Phoebe's squeaking kept re-
occurring a long with blood (unseen but showed on test) in urine.

One vet thought she had cancer because they couldn't get the blood to
go away. But since this has been a re-occuring problem for most of
her life, her other vet (at the same clinic) tried different
antibiotics. We foudn one that although didn't agree with her,
finally knocked out the infection. Some rabbits and guinea pigs got
tummy upset with it. But diluting it and syringing it with plenty of
water helped get rid of bloating and continued tummy upset. Along
with active cultures.

Phoebe now seems well.

Have you had a urinalysis? This can detect infection and other cells
in the urine.

Evelyn and Phoebe.