[Gpdd] HEALTH: Bagged Spinach and E.Coli

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 02:34:28 EDT 2006

Susi, thanks for the heads up on the spinach.  I had
just heard this on the local news and came over to
post in the digest when I saw this issue and read your
post.

You are correct - this is not the urban legend that was
going aroung about the bagged salads.  This is a genuine
health alert and we have had some cases of e.coli related
to this in Oregon already.  I believe that they said that nine
states are involved so far but that it could end up being
nation-wide.

I had been buying the bagged spinach and (luckily) had no
problems, but I am going to throw out an unopened bag
that I purchased yesterday.

So far, they have not been able to connect the outbreak
to any specific brand and the advisory states to not use
ANY bagged spinach at this point until further information
can be obtained.

They are referring to the "pre-washed, bagged" spinach
(the kind that comes "ready-to-use" in sealed bags).

Here's hoping that none of our dear little ones were exposed to
this contaminated spinach and that the slaves were not either.

Hugs 'n kisses to all the soft, furry little heads out there.

Candy; Topper; and the mighty Cat X
(with dear Mollie always in our hearts)