[Gpdd] [GPDD] Care - Mats on Long hairs

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 11:19:27 EDT 2006

Roxanne-  When one of the 'Boys from Peru' develops mats,
  I try to work them out with those wire hair picks. I only cut
  them out as a last resort since I show them and we want
  all the long hair we can hang on to. This can take some
  time, depending on how bad it is. I set the pig on a folded
  towel on my lap, alternating the gentle combing with a
  nice back massage. Moose is especially touchy, and will
  wheek like he's been pinched if I even pull gently to get
  something like a bit of hay out of his hair! I've found it
  helps to hold the bunch of hair with one hand while combing
  with the other, so it doesn't pull so much. You can also
  spray a bit of conditioner or detangler on the mat. Then
  start at the bottom, or outside of the mat, combing just
  small bits out at a time. If you must cut it out, you want
  to take great care using the scissors that close to your
  piggie - it makes me nervous just trimming toe nails!

  Another thought I had on this - you say that this piggie
  never had mats before. Sometimes a change like this
  is an indication of another situation. One pig (Stanford)
  developed mats when he was in a new cage that he
  spent a good deal of time sitting in one corner, and
  later when he got sick. So I would check the piggie
  over thoroughly, and more than once. Could be something
  else going on as well.

  Wheeks!
  Susi & the OP's
  Snowy & CocoPuff feel this is a good reason
  why they have short hair, so they have more
  time for that good back rub morning & evening!