[Gpdd] Health: Todays question regarding syringe feeding

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Sun Sep 17 02:10:08 EDT 2006

Well,
     Cooders must be really turning on to the taste of his antibiotic. He
came after the syringe today! Maybe he wanted to bite and grind it with his teeth
  ;)   but I think he wanted to get more out of it. Methinks he's beginning
to like it.
     How do you hold your piggies when you syringe them?
     Wilson was so sick and weak that he let me wrap him like a baby (a piggy
burrito as Sandy describes it) and hold the syringe almost like a bottle.
Once, when apparently very thirsty, he grabbed at it with both little paws.
Heartrending.
     With Cooders it seems that I have to sit on couch or bed with him (maybe
I should try sitting on   the floor with him on a piece of furniture), grab
his upper mouth and pop the syringe in and push the plunger part way. (Don't
want to choke or drown him).
     It is an awkward way to feed him. Fine for medicines but not for
additional things that take more syringing -- like critical care mixtures, etc. Me
grabbing the poor little guy's face -- what must he think.
     Here I am, 5 years into sharing my life with piggies and there are still
so many important things that I am either unsure of or totally ignorant of.
Different ages and stages perhaps.   Anyway, you old hands at this -- help me
again.

     And again, I can;t thank all of you who have written enough. There are
no people as good as our buddies on the GPDD, I'm convinced.

Alge and the Jolly Rodents