[Gpdd] Health - syringe feeding

DFHAKES at aol.com DFHAKES at aol.com
Sun Sep 17 12:16:38 EDT 2006

Alge,

Penny gets medication twice a week.  I put her on my office chair and  sit on
the floor so we're at eye level.  I give her a little pet on the  head, then
cup one hand around her butt so she can't back up and syringe with  the other
hand.  The medicine is in a sweet solution so she generally  wants to drink it
but it does help to be at eye level.  When we're  done, I give her big rubs
under her chin which she loves.  I keep the  routine the same, every time so
she knows what to expect.

For those of you with buns, it's not as easy.  Rather than chase  them
around, I put bunny on a towel on the kitchen counter to let her know  that I mean
business.  Once you take a bunny out of their play area,  they aren't as
feisty.  I also have a very small  (VERY small) treat such as a little piece of
lettuce or tiny sliver  of fruit to let her know that the medicating is over.

Leah syringes her piggers all the time and I'd be interested in her
technique, but I imagine she's busy moving them into their new home right  now.

Regards,

Dana F. Hakes
Chapter Manager
Tampa Bay House  Rabbit Society

Please check out our rabbit information and lists of  adoptable rabbits at:_
www.tampabayhrs.org_ (http://www.tampabayhrs.org/)
http://wwww.tampabayhrs.petfinder.com (check out our  new Petfinder address!)

"It doesn't matter what the kids say. Rabbits  are not disposable like a box
of cereal or a Disney video. They WILL get tired  of the rabbits and go on to
the next toy. YOU will have to deal with the  consequences. Unfortunately,
most people deal with the situation by DUMPING  their rabbits on someone else.
Ultimately, it is the bunny that pays for your  inability to say NO."