[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Syringe feeding

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 02:35:30 EDT 2006

Alge

Whether I am just givnig meds or syringe feeding, I always wrap the piggie
in a towel - a large towel, and I wrap the piggie fairly tightly, with paws
tucked in and just the little face sticking out. Then I find it easiest to sit
on the sofa with my knees drawn right up and my feet resting on a coffee
table,  and put the towel-wrapped bundle against my drawn-up thighs, so it's facing
me  and I suppose at about a 45 degree angle. This leaves both hands free,
and with  one, I hold the little mouth and lift the lip so I can see the gap
between the  teeth at the side. I insert the syringe into the gap, and push the
plunger.  Naturally I allow time  between syringe insertions for the little guy
to  "chew" and swallow - I did find, with Red Dandy, who was syringe fed for
over a  month, that he seemed to "chew" even water - maybe this was a symptom
of  whatever was wrong with him. I always let him take his time - but had to
get  50ml per day into him, using 1ml syringes of course, so each mealtime took
ages,  and they were fairly frequent.

Red Dandy is the piggie I syringe fed longterm, and he got very used to the
procedure. He seemed snug in the towel, and would feed eagerly until he'd had
enough, then hide his little mouth just inside the towel when he wanted to
stop.  Towards the end I was was having to ignore this request to stop and force
him to  take a little more. I think he felt secure wrapped tightly in the
towel, and he  was willing to eat this way even on the train in the Channel
Tunnel! When he got  bored of water I used to juice his favourite veggies with a
juicing machine -  celery, cucumber and dandelion juice were his favourites.

Good luck with it, Alge - I am only too familiar with the agonies of  syringe
feeding a poorly piggie, and we will continue to pray for a complete
recovery.

Debbie and the 16 Dolly Mixtures