[Gpdd] [GPDD] Health - Giving Meds

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 16:20:42 EDT 2006

Kathy- Can you go get that free pig? Even if you have to re-home
  him, you can be selective about where he goes. Too often, the
  "free" pets end up with the kooks that abuse them or use them
  for snake food. Sorry, but that's the truth. Often I will give a piggie
  to a good home, but I never advertise them as free.

  As for syringe feeding - might as well get my 2 cents worth in, as
  we've done our share of it as well. Sometimes I use a medicine
  dropper, depending on what and who I'm feeding. And I will often
  grab up a healthy pig or two and give them some 'juice' (water
  with some vitamins, maybe echinacea to ward off colds) via
  dropper just so they are accustomed to it, then we don't have a
  fight when they need some medicine. Although Sheena quickly
  learned whether it was her antibiotics or her juice in the dropper,
  and would fight and push it away if it was the yucky stuff! I would
  have tried the yogurt-dip trick and dip the tip of it into some
  yogurt (I discovered most of them love the flavored yogurt), but
  you don't want to feed the probiotic within 2 hours of the antibiotic,
  or one cancels the other out.  So I just give 2-3 droppers of tasty
  stuff, then quickly give the antibiotic, then follow up with some
  more good stuff. And I tell her what's coming, so she'll more
  readily accept the "juice" or "water". (they really do learn some
  words - just watch in the mornings when I say "toast"!)
  Anyway, when syringe/dropper feeding, I put the pig on a folded
  towel on my lap, usually facing to my right. I hold the pig with
  my left hand, then with the syringe or dropper in my right hand,
  I gently put the end of the dropper into the side of the mouth and
  slowly put the food/medicine in.  If I go too fast, it can run out the
  other side of the mouth, or they can get choked.
  This is more of a hazard when feeding very young babies their
  formula, why it is recommended they be fed with a spoon. I've
  never tried feeding liquid with a spoon, but they sure devour the
  yogurt this way, and sometimes the smushed up pellets and
  stuff like pumpkin and squash.  It's worth trying the spoon first,
  it's easier to clean. Speaking of cleaning, be sure you put a
  paper towel 'bib' or 'placemat' under the front of the patient, or
  you could have a mess to clean up on your towel.  This just
  makes the towel last a bit longer, and helps keep their front
  legs and paws clean. I also use a napkin or tissue to wipe
  their chin and mouth, and they always object to this, though
  I haven't figured out why.
  As for feeding the poos from a healthy pig - that is a great idea.
  Two problems I've had with it. One, if you you try to smoosh it
  up and mix with pellet mash, it can really stink. Also, harvesting
  the 'good poo' can be a real challenge. I've tried getting one from
  6 different boys and had a hard time just getting one! They don't
  seem to appreciate this . . . . BUT - if I do get one, I've found
  that the 'patient' will gladly take it without my mashing it up.

  On the occasions that we have resistance, we will resort to
  the piggie burrito, and that can be a challenge, keeping all those
  little paws inside the towel without the nose and mouth disappearing!
  I always try to give some sort of treat afterward, depending on
  what the pig can take. If they can eat ok otherwise, we make a
  trip to the Parsley Patch, or get a baby carrot or bit of apple.
  At least a drink of water or back rub - they even appreciate hugs
  and songs.
  Susi & the OP's