[Gpdd] [RESCUE] -Adoption. Nancy needs a new piggy.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Sep 19 05:40:43 EDT 2006

There was a post from Nancy the other day about adopting a new piggy.

Everyone will have their own opinion, but I would never even consider having a girl piggy spayed. The danger of the operation is far too great.

I have lots of boars and don't consider them any more difficult to look after. I love boars and sows equally.

Nancy, you may have heard about older boars becoming impacted. It can happen occasionally but if it does, it is easily remedied ( instructions can be given!! ). It is a very quick thing to put right and will need repeating occasionally but don't let it put you off from adopting a boar. I won't go into anatomical details here!

As to whether your new piggy will be a "cuddle" pig depends a lot on his/her temperament. Have a good look at piggies in your animal shelter ( is that the right word for the US? ) and see how they behave.

Personally, if I were going to have only one pig, I think that I would choose a boar. A sow on her own always seems lonely to me and would prefer the company of some sister sows but I have boars who are convinced that they are small people and are not bothered about interacting with other piggies.

Hope that this is of some help and that you will find a piggy to love.

Penny and the Piggyfriend in England.