[Gpdd] [GPDD] Care - Panic and Guilt

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 00:07:02 EDT 2006

Speaking of feeling guilty over forgetting the water . . .
  I'm sure most of us have done something (or didn't
  do something) that we felt bad about, or at least
  worried about. There have been a couple of times
  when I was very sick in bed and couldn't make it
  to the other room to take care of the pigs. That,
  of course, made me feel worse, tho I didn't know
  at the time it would be all day - I kept thinking I'd
  feel better 'in a little while'. But, at the same time,
  I knew that I'd just filled all their water bottles the
  night before, and they had hay and a few pellets
  to tide them over. And, while they weren't real
  happy with me, they were fine.
  Some of you may remember a couple years ago,
  when I left an entire apple unattended with Snowy,
  CocoPuff and Lil'Whistle & Rosie. I had already
  given them an elaborate 'buffet' of all good things,
  and they were down for their floortime. I set the
  apple down to see what they'd do with it, and they
  weren't really doing much besides sniffing it. So I
  went in the other room for 5-10 minutes, and when
  I came back, there wasn't a scrap of the apple left!
  I was in a panic! I immediately got online, trying to
  find out if they were going to explode, or if they'd
  get colic (like a horse, I guess), or just what other
  terrible thing might happen to them, and if there
  were anything I could do to save them. Mostly I
  was laughed at, a bit, and assured that they would
  be fine - and they were. Although the seeds are not
  something they should have, especially not on a
  regular basis, there weren't all that many in that
  small apple.  But I certainly learned my lesson
  from that, and always at least core the apple, as
  well as score the peel, before letting them have it.
  In fact, now it is usually cut up into small pieces,
  to be sure everypig gets some (so somepig like
  Snowy doesn't grap a big piece and run off with it).

  But that's what's great about our group here - we
  can all learn from and help each other.
  Piggie hugs all around,
  Susi & the Okie Piggies

  Snowy says, "... and dish out the treats."