[Gpdd] HEALTH: The Great Drought of 2006

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 16:46:00 EDT 2006

Greetings, wonderful digesters -

I just wanted to send in an update on the
Waterless Topper situation and a huge thank
you to all of you who responded so quickly to
my panicked call for help.  I needed to go over
yesterday and take care of some things for my
mother-in-law but, honestly, I just don't think I
could have left for a minute if I had not received
the wonderful information, reassurances, and
support from those of you who wrote to tell me
that everything was most probably okay.  You
can't know how much that helped me.  Thank
you SO much.

I have finally unsquenched, I guess, and decided
that I haven't done any permanent damage to the
poor boy.  The TopperMan is his usual rambunctious
self.  He really never missed a beat except for his
long drinking periods for about two hours after I
FINALLY gave him his water.  He is eating, drinking,
and wheeking normally and his urinating and pooing
seem to be completely normal.  I shall continue to
keep a very close eye on him for another few days,
though, to make sure that there is no hint of a UTI.
He really seems just fine; however, the whole incident
shaved about 20 years off MY life, I'll tell you.

This post is already too long, but I will add something
here that might save some of you some future trouble.
The reason I was so pole-axed by my forgetting to put
the bottle in the cage is because, when I first got
Topper, the very first water bottle I had for him used
to "lock up" all the time [the ball bearing would get
jammed in the top of the tube and create a vacuum
that wouldn't let any water into the tube].  I formed
the habit right then of ALWAYS tapping the end of
the sipper tube whenever I put a fresh bottle in or as
the last thing I would do EVERY TIME I left the house
for any reason.  So, for five years, I have checked the
water bottle and sipper tube at least once a day EVERY
SINGLE DAY and sometimes several times a day
WITHOUT FAIL.  That is why I could not understand
how I walked out with the bottle still on the hearth.
(Gee...maybe it's old age....]

So, for those of you who use bottles with sipper tubes,
they can get locked up, so it is good to always check
before you leave and make sure water is actually coming
through the tube.  (This is one of those "do as I say"
and not "do as I do" situations considering my latest
Stupid Human Trick - ha).

Anyway, after re-reading my original post and realizing
what a maniac I sounded like (haaaaahahahahaha), I
wanted to let y'all know that all is well and thank you
again and again for being the most wonderful,
supportive, understanding, and caring people in the
world - not to mention the smartest folks in "all things
piggie".

Oh, a couple of you asked about Cat X and her startled
fall when the chair fell over (I'm laughing aloud right now
like an idiot - what chaos!].  She is fine.  I checked her
thoroughly and there are no lumps or bumps and she
hasn't seemed stiff or creaky today.  The old girl took it
pretty good considering her ancientness.  :)   Thanks so
much for asking about her.

Much love to all of you and extra kisses to all furry heads
tonight.  Thanks again so much for your help.

A very relieved but still embarrassed Candy;
A well-hydrated and now-even-more-spoiled Topper;
A STILL p-o'd but uninjured Cat X;
(and dear, sweet MollieBug always in our hearts)