[Gpdd] [GPDD] Care - Biscuits?

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 13:55:17 EDT 2006

Jocelyn-
  Just what kind of chew biscuits are Little John and Fireball devouring?
  Even if they are properly designed just for guinea pigs, I doubt
  it would be good for them to have very much. I assume you
  have checked the ingredients, etc.
  I've found that even a good many of the so-called 'guinea pig
  treats' aren't really good for them after all, as they contain
  more junk than nutritious (or even safe) food. The OP's love
  toast, too, but I try not to let them have much - especially
  with jam on it! (joking here - all they get are pinches of the
  crust of whole grain bread, no butter, no jam, no honey or
  anything)  But they do love it, and some will beg for it
  non-stop.  I know I should stop and investigate this, to be
  sure I'm not hurting them with this.
  Just to be safe, I'd cut way back on these biscuits, maybe
  give them smaller bits along with a carrot or apple slices.
  If you feel the hay and pellets aren't wearing their teeth
  sufficiently, you can buy hay cubes at a feed store. I find
  a 50 lb. bag at our local feed store for under $8. Of course,
  they are alfalfa based, but I feed lots of timothy and prairie
  hay along with it.
  (if I've missed a discussion of these biscuits, please forgive
  me!)
  Susi & the OP's