[Gpdd] [GPDD] Care - Introductions

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 16:02:23 EDT 2006

Carole- I've read a similar suggestion for introducing a baby
  to a different litter, so the mother would accept it and nurse
  it. It said to just (gently) rub the babies on each other, so
  all their scents would be mixed. I've done that a time or two,
  don't know exactly what they thought of it.
  As for letting the well pig accompany the 'patient' to the
  doctor's; I often load up a buddy or cagemate (or mom) to
  go along when one has to go in, for "moral support". They
  always get a kick out of it at the office. But I feel that it
  helps the piggies deal with the situation; the patient isn't
  quite so stressed in going someplace strange and having
  odd things done, but it also keeps their partner from fretting
  about where the other went. They keep each other company
  on the trip, and seem to benefit from it. Of course, I also
  talk to them all along the way, explaining where we're going
  as well as warning of "bumps", turns and stops. I think
  it at least helps those who travel regularly, so they can
  brace for what's coming.  Of course, it's like the mom who
  out of habit suddenly reaches out to brace that passenger
  in the front seat when she has to brake suddenly .. . I am
  always warning my human passengers of bumps and turns!

  (just another benefit, the way I see it!)

  Susi & the OP Travelers
  (gearing up for another show next weekend at Rolla, MO!)

Susi Eastin
  The Okie Piggies of Cavy Lodge
  Green Country Cavy Club
  Tulsa Rabbit Breeders Assn