[Gpdd] [GPDD] Health - Healing Kisses on Duke's Nose

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 13:39:34 EDT 2006

  Glynis-
  Poor little Duke!  Have you been treating the nose infection? Is this
  a respiratory infection, or a local injury of the nose?  If he has a
  respiratory infection, this will have to be treated and the drainage
  stopped to be able to get the soreness stopped. This is like when
  we have a cold and blow or wipe our noses until they are sore.
  We treat our piggies with 1/4 tablet of generic chlortrimeton (many
  use Sudafed or Benadryl), but this seems to be well-tolerated, easy
  to cut and dissolve quickly in a bit of warm water. (note: recently
  when I went to get more Chlortrimeton tabs, I found they had been
  coated, which makes them hard to cut, plus we don't want that
  coating. But the generic is still uncoated.)
  For the sore nose, I would lightly apply some neosporin or similar
  ointment to help keep it dry as it heals, just don't block his nostrils.
  When we have to clean a dirty nose, I just use a warm, damp wash
  cloth and hold it gently over first one side then the other (don't want
  to suffocate them!), until it will start to come loose, even if you don't
  get it all at once.
  Be sure he is getting extra vitamin C to help get over this. You can
  get a good quality liquid C at the health food store, just a few drops
  into some water makes it easy to give them. If he really wants the
  apple and canteloupe, just cut into  very small bits and place them
  one at a time into his mouth until his nose has healed.
  It would probably do him some good.
  Wheeks and healing prayers,
  Susi & the OP's