[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Nose infection

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 25 19:49:26 EDT 2006

I have a pig who had something that I am wondering may be your pigs problem.
I was told it was a fungal problem and his nose and corners of his mouth got
scabby.  Giving fruits which are acidic made it worse (and I was told may
have begun it in the first place), so apples etc. are a no-no at present.
It's very itchy for the pigs and the rub their nose with their paws and also
rub it on their front legs or backs.

The scabs need something soothing on them like a cream for cold sores.  In
the UK I was advised to use Cymex cream, the shampoo is probably stinging
him a lot.  You could also try Datarkin oral gel (NOT the cream as the cream
is not to be taken internally), as this is antifungal and putting a little
bit on a cotton bud and letting your pig lick it off, will mena some of this
goes in his mouth and throat.  Dabbing a bit in the corners of his mouth if
they are scabby may help is well (but make sure you hold onto the cotton bud
otherwise they'll eat that too!).

Peter Gurney says it could be a vitamin problem and suggests vitamin B2 may
be lacking, so he says to give pigs half a vitamin B complex pill until the
condition clears up.

He also suggests Betadine ointment for cracked skin.  It's iodine-based and
he says is safe and effective to use.

I don;t know if this maybe what your pig has but hope the above helps.

Carole