[Gpdd] MISC - hairless piggies

Andrew a1.mills at portset.net
Tue Sep 26 15:51:12 EDT 2006

I have never seen a hairless guinea pig,but I have heard of them.  I believe they are often called skinny pigs!  However, I do have a hairless rat.  I had heard of hairless rats and thought I wouldn't like them, I thought they'd be really unnatural and horrible.  However, when I saw some in a shop a few months ago my curiosity got the better of me and I had to get one.  Although I still feel a bit doubtful as to whether it's really right to breed animals with no hair, I must say I've really grown attached to my little boy.  He behaves just like any other rat, he's very friendly and active.  Obviously with hairless animals it's important that they're kept warm.  I would imagine that caring for a hairless guinea pig would be very similar, i.e. ensure that they cannot scratch themselves on any sharp objects in their cage and ensure they are kept warm at all times.  Obviously I don't think it would be advisable to keep a hairless guinea pig as an outside pig!  They would definit!
 ely need to be kept indoors.  However, as most people now seem to keep their guinea pigs indoors rather than outside this wouldn't be a problem for most people.  I think that if ever I saw one I'd have to get it.  Obviously keeping it with another guinea pig would help to keep it warm as guinea pigs like to cuddle up together.  I've not actually read many accounts of people owning hairless guinea pigs so I'm only saying what I think I would be like in comparison to another hairless animal such as my rat.  Another thing that I would imagine you would have to be careful with is ensuring that they didn't become exposed to direct sunlight.  Obviously with no fur to protect them they could easily get sunburnt.  If allowed outside during warm weather it would be important to ensure they were kept in the shade.  I would imagine though that in all other respects they'd be just like any other guinea pig.