[Gpdd] (Health) A member of the Squee Squad is ill

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Sep 30 18:06:31 EDT 2006

Sorry to read that Serendipity is poorly.

I don't know about using a nebulizer on a piggy ( though I have used one
myself ) but the people at Cavies Castle recommend Menthol crystals for
breathing troubles. These are an aromatherapy remedy available at chemists
in England ( I don't know where you are ). You dissolve a tiny piece of
crystal in a small container of very hot water and hold it under the piggy's
nose so that he/she can breathe in the vapour. I have used a baby food jar
for this. I find the vapour very strong but piggies seem to like it. You can
reheat the mixture and use it again.

Do you have Vick where ever you are? A little dab on the nostrils can help
clear the airways.

Another product that they recommend is Bisolvon Powder, which your vet may
have. It comes in little sachets. A pinch of the powder is mixed with a
little drop of water and syringed to the piggy 2 or 3 times during the
course of a day. Put the pinch of powder in the bowl of a spoon, add a
little drop of water from a syringe, mix it up and syringe it back up. I
gave some of this to my Nova last week and she was fine the next day! (Sighs
of relief all round!)

I don't know how severe her breathing is, but if it is very laboured your
vet may need to give her Lasix. The Cavies Castle people give this with
Dexadresson ( not sure about the spelling here as it is always called Dex )
and Bisolvon.

As regards feeding her, if she is not eating for herself, I would recommend
taking her out of her cage and syringing in as much as you can. Just give a
little at a time so that she can breathe in between mouthfuls. She needs to
keep her strength up and our little friends lose weight so quickly. Keep up
her fluid intake too.

It is very hard to offer advice without being able to see the piggy in
question but hope that some of this may be of help.

We are all thinking about little Serendipity and wish her well.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.