[Gpdd] MIsc: Re: Guinea pigs shows.

adcavy at aol.com adcavy at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 06:20:26 EDT 2007

Hi M and Fugly,

If you visit the website of the Southern Cavy Club as Penny suggested
future shows should be posted. There are links to the National Cavy
Club, breed clubs and from them you can locate details of local clubs.

Epsom Cavy Club have a show on Sunday  15th April at the War memorial
hall, Burgh heath, Radworth, Surrey.

Chiltern Cavy Club have a show on Sunday 8th April At the Thame
Showground, Thame, Oxfordshire,

There are others ranging from West Sussex, Norwich to Peterborough over
the next 2-3 weeks or so.

If you want you can email me and I could give you details of the
nearest club to you or of other shows. There's no pressure to join. You
can just turn up and see the guinea pigs and chat to owners and
breeders.

  Everyone is friendly and more than happy to pass on tips and
information. There are even pet classes at shows. Judges are not
looking for show-groomed pigs, as long as the guinea pig is healthy,
clean and friendly you can enter. I think at most clubs you would have
to be a member to do this. It may vary from club to club. Club
secretaries are happy to pass on details.

At Marsh farm near Chelmsford shows are held twice a year. Everyone is
encouraged to bring their pet. No membership required on this occasion.
You can see different breeds, talk to experts, and have a terrific day
out in the park and centre.

Our rex boar Freddy had several teeth trimmed on three occasions. At
the time we were feeding a soft meadow hay because it looked and
smelled good. What we didn't realise was it wasn't as fibrous as some
other hays. After speaking to a local livery stable about our problem
they recommended a coarser hay.  We trialled this for 2 months and all
the pigs loved it. We also cut out soft foods such as grapes and
tomatoes which Freddy loved. We substituted these with extra fresh
grass, wild herbs and garden weeds on top of his daily veg ration. In
fact we tried anything edible and safe which would keep him chewing for
longer.

Two years later Freddy is still going strong and has never needed
another tooth trimmed. His problem might have gone away by itself.
Maybe his teeth overgrew due to lose of appetite as usually can happen
with pigs. He's bouncing around like a baby now so that is all that
matters.

I get seed for dandelions, milk/sow thistle, plaintain etc from
different websites. I am happy to pass on details if anyone is
interested.

Mary Fran has Li'l Bear returned? I may have missed a post or two but
hope he has come back safe and sound.

Best Wishes,

Antoinette and the Magic 59.