[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Shelly's over the bridge

Katy O'Connor chicky14510 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:34:08 EDT 2007

It's been a rough year so far with me and my little sweethearts. As many of you may remember, I had to help Charlotte Ann over the bridge about a month ago because she stopped eating and drinking and had an abdominal tumor.  Tuesday evening when I cam home from work, I found Shelly dead in the cage she shares with Becky. Shelly had been laying in the igloo and her head was sticking out, and Becky was laying next to the igloo with her face right next to Shelly. It was so sad. I have no idea what happened. She was acting perfectly normal when I left for work Monday night. She and Becky are about 5 years old.

So far, Becky doesn't seem to be sick or anything, so if she died of an illness it must not have been contagious. Right after I buried her I cleaned the cage immaculate just in case. I feel so bad for my Shelly, and I feel bad for Becky because she and Shelly have been side by side they entire lives. They get their baths together, they go outside in the play pen together, they've shared their three story home all their lives and now it looks so empty without Shelly. (Neither of them got along with Charlotte).

I also feel bad because I was just in a car wreck on Wednesday, the very next day, and am having a hard time moving and been on the phone constantly with family and insurance - so I haven't been able to devote all my extra time to comforting Becky!! I feel terrible.

What do my fellow digesters think? Should I try to find another friend for Becky? Becky was the dominant one of the two and I dont know if she'll get along with any one else. I don't want her to be depressed though.

My heart also goes out to all those who have lost a guinea pig recently. I feel your pain and am sorry for your losses, yet I am glad such wonderful piggies are waiting to greet my sweet Shelly at the end of the bridge...

Love you all,
Katy (and now just Becky...)