[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE Condolences for Shelly

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Apr 14 07:02:40 EDT 2007

I'm so sorry to read about Shelly's passing, especially as it is so soon after Charlotte Ann. It is a shame for Becky to be on her own after so many years with her friend.

When I have one survivor from a group of sows, I either put her in another group for company or I find that new piggies will arrive needing a home and I put them with her. I have always thought that sows need to be in a group as they spend so much time gossiping, whereas boars are sometimes content to have their own space but interact more with their humans.

I realise that not everyone has so many piggies to be able to do this but if Becky were one of mine I would look for a new friend for her. When my Pansy was the last one left of her group, I was trying to decide which group to try her with, when I heard of a pair of baby sows needing a home. I put them with her and she took to them as though they had always been together and they snuggle up together in their pigloo. Pansy was very down when Pearl, her lifelong companion died and this gave her a new lease of life.

Putting two little ones with Becky would give you the option of separating them if it didn't work out but they would still have each other's company. Even if you try to introduce Becky to one new adult friend and it doesn't work you could always put the cages alongside each other for the companionship, as you may have done with Charlotte Ann.

I hope that you will soon feel better after your car accident.

Our sincere condolences on the loss of Shelly,

Penny and the Piggyfriends, who send their love to Becky.