[Gpdd] health - rusty roo follow up

Raeanne Sisson sirenn at insightbb.com
Sat Apr 21 23:27:27 EDT 2007

Thanks to everyone who replied regarding my piggy rusty who had a double dose of baytril the other night. My husband took her to the vet today (a new doctor) and he seemed fairly positive that Rusty does not have a UTI, as this is usually accompanied by pain during urination. He also didn't think she had a stone since the meds ARE somewhat effective to stop the blood.

He suggested a urine analysis to rule out UTI and then a possible endoscopy and/or sonogram (or something similar). What is your experience on this? He seems to think it's likely that the problem has to do with her reproductive system or possibly her bladder. He suggested that she may have a secondary infection.

For the urine analysis, he wants her off meds for 3 days. I'm really concerned because I know that she'll continue to bleed, and it may progress quickly. This REALLY worries me.... and I'm just so torn. Not to mention that the urine extraction will be very painful for Rusty.

Has anyone done surgery on their pigs such as this? Do they recover well?

I just wish I could tell Rusty that everything is going to be okay and that we want to do what's best for her.... but I don't exactly speak "wheek." I'm so confused and I don't know what the best choice is.

Thank you for your time,

Raeanne