[Gpdd] health - rusty roo follow up

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 10:43:43 EDT 2007

Hi Raeanne.  I'm sorry you're still having trouble with little Rusty.  I Googled your address and Insightbb came up as being in Japan.  In the US it can be very difficult to find a competent vet.  In another country it sometimes seems almost impossible which may be part of your problem.  Is it possible for you to find someone who calls themselves an "exotics" vet?  Someone who deals with rabbits?  While rabbits and GPs are different animals, they do have some similarities.  Their systems are both definitely different from dogs, cats and us!

  As for your questions-there is no need to take Rusty off the Baytril just to run tests.  Any infection will show up in a urinalysis or blood test even with the Baytril.  Sorry, but the only thing that will stop the blood is to eliminate the problem.  Meds alone won't have any effect.  Be sure the amount of med she is on is dosed properly and she is getting enough.  Many vets tend to underdose.

  Doing an endoscopy is not something you want.  This involves putting a tube down Rustys throat and can hurt her when done by someone who has not dealt with GPs before.  She will also have to be sedated for the procedure and it won't really show anything conclusive.  A top and side x-ray as well as an ultrasound should help answer any questions you and the vet will have as well as blood work.  None of these procedures will require sedation.

  If Rusty were mine, at this point, I'd just have the ultrasound done as it should pick up any uterine and bladder issues provided it is read by a competent person.  I was with my Lady Bug when she had hers done and it's really interesting to see how things are arranged and what they actually look like.  I also had a "full spectrum" blood and urinalysis done, not just the little spinner the vets have in their office.  Her blood and urine went to a lab for a battery of tests that show things the vets equipment won't detect.  BTW, it is easy to get blood from a GP if you do a nail "overclip".  Just warm the foot first and don't squeeze the toe.  The blood should flow easily and you'll get enough for samples.  It will also heal right up as its the same as clipping their nails too short.  Same principle.

  Is all this expensive?  You bet!  Bugs x-rays, urinalysis, blood work and ultrasound ran me almost $800 but I now have a good baseline to judge any problems that may come up as she ages.  She's almost 5 years old now and while she and I want her to live forever, problem free, it isn't going to happen.  In the future we'll be able to judge the progress of any problems she may have including arthritis.

  Success of ANY surgery for Rusty will depend on how far a condition has progressed and the competence of her vet.  Please, for Rustys sake, go to www.guinealynx.com.  You do not have to register to read the medical pages.  Look up the bladder and uterine sections.  In some cases they have pictures of healthy organs as well as those with problems.  Look up the dosing charts for her meds. Print out the pages and take them with you to her vet.

  Sorry this is so long but I hope it helps and The Lady Bug is sending healing wheeks to Rusty.

  Joan, the paranoid slave to The Lady Bug