[Gpdd] [HEALTH]Butterscotch and Tom

DL1Bossfan at aol.com DL1Bossfan at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 19:20:11 EDT 2007

Hi Friends:
I haven't posted in a while, but try to keep up with the GPDD.  First  of all
I want to offer our heart felt sympathy to Leah and Blaine on the loss of
their 2 sweet babies.  They were such good parents to Butterscotch and  Brownie
Bear, and I pray they will soon find another (or more!) to love.
My Tom has been quite sick for about two weeks now.  He has the  symptoms of
Gastrointestinal Stasis, and is being treated for it.  It is  common in
bunnies, (or more talked about) but piggies can get it too.   Basically the  piggy
(or bunny) stops eating and drinking, and if left  untreated can die quickly.
The intestine becomes static - which can be  caused by an underlying illness
or problem such as an intestinal blockage,  dental problems, or infections -
just to name a few.  Tom has been  examined twice including his teeth - and the
Dr. has not found  anything.  He has also not shown many of the symptoms that
I have  read about.  First and foremost, he is not showing any signs of pain.
 He has just lost a lot of weight and has no appetite.  He was on an
antibiotic for a week and is still on Reglan 2 times a day. (The Reglan is  a
motility drug).  Tom also has received fluids sub-q twice.  He  has started to drink
on his own again, and perch on his food dish - but he  mostly just plays with
the food and then goes back into the pigloo.  I have  been feeding him
critical care by syringe.  Sorry Oxbow - but he hates it,  and I have tried both
flavors!  Regardless, I realize it is a great product  and he gets it anyway!
So - the reason for this post is if any of you have experienced this, I
would love to hear from you.  I am mainly interested in trying to get him  to eat
something solid.  This group of piggies (all 6) have never been  fruit eaters
with the exception of apples.  Tom is approx. 5 years  old.  He was part of
the Maryland rescue where the lunatic had 200+ piggies  in his stinky small
garage several years ago, so he is tough and he is a  survivor.  He is a
sweetheart and I pray he recovers.  This illness  has made him very clingy - especially
with Huck.  Tom would rather be  in the pigloo with Huck than in his own by
himself, so Huck wishes that he  will recover soon too!  Sorry for the long
post and thanks for reading  through it.
Donna and the 6 S.C. piggies
Tom, Huck, Becky, Thatcher, Big Jim, and Aunt  Polly