[Gpdd] [CARE]<Piggy beauty school>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 3 09:11:38 EDT 2007

Hi Liz and the other GPDDers,

I love the beauty school idea! ;-) My pigs tend to give me dirty looks too ;-)I have no sense of style according to them. i have improved a lot but they still don't like it; although Jan sometimes secretly enjoys a shave and he has been spotted popcorning after losing his fur.
I shave jan and Yaya. It looks a lot better than when i used to cut them with scissors. Especially when it starts to grow back; the hair is not as 'chunky' as compared to cutting. In the beginning (when it starts growing back after a shave) i keep their backsides short with scissors.

Jan likes shaving the most, i think that he sometimes sees the shaving machine as a big massage thing. he has really thick hair and cutting can be painful for him when i take too much hair. And taking less hair takes forever to finish. I still do not like how it looks when he's short; he's such a beautiful silky. But when his hair is long he goes to his  hairdresser Yaya, which is a lot worse. She is a firm believer in mullets; she cuts Jan really short on top and leaves his hair long at the sides.(Is the beauty school run by piggies or people? Because in the former case i want a piggy with a different sense of style than yaya)
This is Coupe d'Yaya: http://xs318.xs.to/xs318/07315/Jul06.JPG .
This is the first time I shaved Jan; left is pre-shaving (but WITH some scissorwork and some of Yaya's work), and right is after the shave: http://xs313.xs.to/xs313/07112/MakeOverJan.jpg
This one, is probably familiar to all of you, but here you can see very nicely that his hair grows back more evenly when i shave him: http://xs411.xs.to/xs411/07033/Jan_0024b.JPG
I use the machine that my mother used on our late poodle. I don't know if i would actually buy a machine.

I do not have to shave yaya; her satin hair is really thin and it is easy and quick to cut. But with the machine i'm not afraid to cut her (she once jumped into the scissors, and the toe she landed on still looks funny; i feel very guilty about that). yaya is actually a halle berry piggy; she looks better with short than with long hair. The ends of her satin hair tend to split. I usually cut her like this: http://xs217.xs.to/xs217/07283/Jul07.JPG. I also need to keep her short at the back because she is very messy in general and prone to diarrhoea.

Btw, i know that if you want to cut them less 'chunky' you need to change the direction of your scissors.I usually cut straight (sorry, translation problems, i'll try to explain); if you're cutting the hair on their back, the scissor points from their right pawside towards their left pawside. This is the safest way to cut; especially when you want it short, but it's not that pretty. If you want a nicer look, you cut against the hairgrowth; if you have the same lock of hair on the back as in the previous example, you point the scissors from their bottom towards their head. It is easier to cut into their skin this way so be careful.
Try to get someone to assist you when you're cutting bellies, that makes life much easier.
I prefer to cut it really short because to them it doesn't matter, they do not really like it anyway and if it's really short i have to do it less often.

Hope these tips help (although my pigs warn you all that i'm not very stylish and that i ought to be arrested by the piggy fashion police)
Grtz&wkz
Janneke and the winky team.