[Gpdd] [RAINBOW BRIDGE] Butterscotch J. Furpants

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 5 20:34:35 EDT 2007

On Tuesday, July 31st, at about 1:17 AM, Mr. Butterscotch J. Furpants
gave up his
fight and slipped away to the Bridge.

He had been losing weight since mid-June, and kept losing weight faster
despite
an increasing supply of Critical Care.  Up until Monday morning,
however, he had
seemed normally happy and active and alert, playing and eating and
offering his
opinions pretty much as usual.  On Monday morning, he was very
lethargic, and by
the time he went to the vet later in the day, he had a high fever and
severe
respiratory congestion.  Despite starting him on antibiotics, by late
evening he
was having a great deal of trouble breathing, and in the wee hours he
left us.
He died at home, with his family.

Butterscotch was about 4 years old, and had been with us for just short
of 2
years.  His brother Clover died last year.

He was a handsome pig, and he knew it; he was patchy amber and white,
but on the
top of his head and on his hind-quarters, the white hairs were very
long and
silky.  On his head, they flowed back in a stylish wave; on his rump,
they
seemed to almost drape around his legs like furry pantaloons - hence his
nickname, "furpants".

He was a good pig; he wasn't exactly the cuddliest of creatures, having
always a
little bit of attitude or sense of entitlement about him, but he was
very well
behaved, especially when he needed syringe feeding or medications, only
occasionally lifting one paw to fend off the intrusion, as if to say
"excuse me,
please don't."  He had mastered the art of delivering tiny little
gentle nibbles
when he was ready to back home from a trip to the lap.  Butterscotch
was the
spokes-pig for his herd, letting us know when we had forgotten important
obligations.  He was fond of his carrots and his parsley.

We loved him so much; hopefully we will see him again some day at the
Bridge.
Until then, we will remember him and love him, forever and ever and
always.

Good-bye, little man...

Sadly,
Steve, and Ginger, and the now-solo Mike T. Pig,
Remembering Niles, and Clover, and now Butterscotch