[Gpdd] HEALTH Snowball picking up food.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Aug 9 19:09:57 EDT 2007

Carla,

Has your vet explained why Snowball's front teeth are not functioning any more?  If the vet has correctly clipped the molars his front teeth should be able to operate properly.

I have had piggies recovering from dental work ( before the days when they could be done without an anaesthetic ) who had to be fed with strips of veggies until the pain subsided enough for them to be able to carry on munching by themselves. I am lucky enough to be able to take a recuperating piggy to work with me and feed at any time but if you are unable to do this I cannot see how Snowball will be able to feed himself sufficiently. Making up a veg/fruit slurry will get the nutrients into him but his back teeth will then overgrow as they are not being used.

You say that he can eat some hay. Can he also eat grass and if left by himself, could he eat enough of both it and the hay to keep him going through the day until you can help him in the evening? This is going to be hard work for you.

At my rodentologists, I have met the occasional piggy, who, due to their poor dentition, have been hand fed all of their lives. It only takes a few minutes to syringe feed enough to keep a piggy going until the next meal but as they lived on the premises, needing the molars trimmed every so often did not present a problem.

None of this is very helpful but perhaps with a bit more info I might be able to come up with some more suggestions.

Lots of love to Snowball and Apache.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.