[Gpdd] Health/Condolences: Celery, Tinsel and Molly

Kirsten McKnight kirsten.mcknight at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:12:33 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I am so sorry Jaime for the loss of Molly - it's so obvious you did
everything you could and it is the utmost love you can give to not let
someone suffer anymore. Like everyone else on the list, I really hope you
don't give up on animals and making a difference - I know it seems futile
sometimes, but every little bit we do does make a difference. I too hope
that nasty man with the GP's ends up reincarnated either as GP cage wires or
cage litter. Remember what goes around comes around.

Penny, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Tinsel - I'm sure she is
well over the Rainbridge Bridge popcorning and running around with many many
friends.

And I'm sorry about everyone else who has lost or is dealing with sick
piggies.

and thanks so much to everyone, birdy, Lisa, Penny and everyone else that
weighed in on the issue of celery. I'm definitely going to try it with
strings removed and chopped in small pieces. particularly since I'm trying
to tempt my little Licorice into eating properly again. he went off his feed
a couple of weeks ago - we've taken him to the vet several times. It started
with diarrhea then progressed into him alternately refusing to eat and drink
to drinking and eating everything except his hay. we've been giving him
Critical Care (which he absolutely hates but is a real gentleman about) and
tempting him with fresh grass in lieu of hay, and whatever we can tempt him
with. It's funny though, where he used to eat an entire grape or cherry
tomato and would have been glad to have more, at most he eats half and then
turns his nose up. I've never been so excited to see normal (ish) poops as I
am when he does poop!! I'm convinced it has something to do with his teeth -
he had broken a tooth off, and then had to have the regrown bottom one and a
top one removed because they grew in wrong. the bottom one hasn't grown back
- but the top one has. He had his molars trimmied at the same time - and
while the vet said at the last visit that his molars were a little bit
overgrown but not enough to trim - I'm thinking he is wrong about that.
don't get me wrong, he is a fabulous vet - really good with the little guys
and I think he subsidizes their fees through his cat and dogs practice so i
really like him a lot. I just think in this case he is wrong based on all
the recent postings I've seen on teeth. And we only feed timothy pellets
from Oxbow mostly and their hay (except we did get a bale of timothy from a
horse friend recently which all the other GP's seem to like just fine except
for Licorice.) so I don't think it's related to diet. Of course he gets
treats like romaine lettuce and baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, dandelion all
in moderation. the vet thinks the first broken tooth might have been cause
by a splinter of hay which got infected - which he thinks explains why the
tooth has not grown back in.

Sorry about the length of the post!
take care everyone,
Kirsten and the Critter Crew

PS LMM (L'il Miz Moppit) thinks a GP beauty parlor is a GREAT idea - she
wants to know if their will be pigacures for their toes and paw nails!!)
She's not so sure about the hair cutting though........
Also, while I don't know the birthdates of half of the piggies, Licorice,
Smoke and Squeeeks were born on September 9th, 2003. so I hope they can be
added to the birthday list!!!!