[Gpdd] [HEALTH]<Yaya back from the vets II>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 24 09:14:09 EDT 2007

Hi All,
Thank you guys for the comments! After hearing from the vet that yaya needed antibiotics I contacted the lady from the guinea pig shelter who does research on satin pigs. She knows a lot and uses a lot of herbal and other alternative treatments, and is ofcourse an expert on OD. She told me that Yaya really needed antibiotics. Cranberryjuice wasn't an option because in order to help cure the cystitis, she needed a lot and too much cranberryjuice can cause intestinal problems. She also told me that she tried the barleywater several times on her pigs and that it didn't work sufficiently. Considering that yaya had a wet bum, it would be best to feed her the antibiotics.

So we started with the ab's 2 days ago and so far so good *knock on wood*. She hasn't had diarrhoea so far.I really hope she keeps it up. She's on baytril (i know it has a reputation of not being that good for the belly). I also increased her dose of probiotics (she gets a powder, named protexin) and her dose of gastro, which is a chinese herbal pill.(she always gets probiotics and gastro because without them she frequently has diarrhoea)

She is doing well, a bit grumpy though. But i don't think i blame her ;-). I keep harassing her with different things; i shaved her butt nearly bald in order to help her keep herself clean (take a look; i've improved as a barber http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07345/Aug05.JPG ). I washed her (and dried her thoroughly) in order to clean up her smelly butt. I forcefed her very yukkie ab's and increased the amount of gastropills and protexin. I would hate myself too ;-). She is taking it out on a cuddletube stuffed with hay (http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07345/Aug04.JPG ), by eating the hay while looking at me vindictively *giggle*..but i'm happy she chose this way to vent her feelings because eating hay is really good for her.
When i was force feeding her all the yukkie meds last night, i also made a pigture, where i asked her to smile for all the nice people from the gpdd who wished her luck and gave advise: http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07345/Aug08.JPG

Grtz
Janneke and Yaya