[Gpdd] [MISC] Elliott's teeth and my friend Diana

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 17:49:12 EDT 2007

My Elliott piggy has been having quite a lot of trouble with his teeth.  He
had an abscess under one of his lower incisors which loosened the tooth so
it had to come out.  He lost of couple of upper molars for some reason, but
one of them has started growing back again.  These problems have meant that
his teeth don't align properly and I have been syringe feeding him as he has
had problems eating by himself.  Even so, he has been losing weight.

On Tuesday my vet Neil said that Elliott's lower molars were starting to
grow over his tongue and that he needed another dental.  I was particularly
keen for Neil to do the dental himself, and Thursday was the day he was
scheduled to do surgery, so I booked Elliott in for Thursday.  The thing
was, I was down to invigilate an examination on Thursday.  I didn't have a
mobile phone, so I went and bought one on Wednesday so that the vet could
contact me in case of emergency.

I rang my friend Diana on Wednesday evening as I hadn't seen her for a
couple of days; she asked after Elliott.  When I told her what was happening
she wouldn't hear of me doing the invigilation and said she would take the
exam herself so that I could be nearby in case Elliott needed me.

Thursday morning I took Elliott in for his dental at 8:45am.  One of the
veterinary nurses rang about 1:15pm to say that Elliott had come round after
his anaesthetic (he has iso) and that he had taken some food; they made an
appointment for me to see Neil at 5:15pm to discuss Elliott's progress.  I
couldn't have made the appointment if my friend Diana hadn't covered my
invigilation slot for me.  Elliott's teeth were burred right down as he was
beginning to have problems closing his mouth because of his molars (his last
dental was nearly three weeks ago).  He still needs syringe feeding, but I'm
hoping he'll be able to start eating his usual food fairly soon.

I wanted to share with everyone the kindness that my friend Diana showed me
and my little Elliott.  It meant so much to me to be able to be there in
case Elliott needed me.

Jaime, one man's nastiness doesn't wipe out the kindess of other people in
the world.  Someone on the digest said a while ago something along the lines
that saving one piggy might not change the world, but it changes the world
for that piggy (sorry I can't remember who said it).

Nicholle, your story is so uplifting, your courage and your dedication; you
set a wonderful example.  You described Kirchner as a "loveless sack of
manure"; too generous...how did he come by a sack?

At another level, maybe Kirchner's purpose in life is to focus our resolve
to act with love and kindness.  As Nicholle said, it'll come back to him
some day, somehow.  We are punished by our sins (not for them); how will
Kirchner be able to look at himself in the mirror, sleep at night etc?  It
might not hit him now, but it will, ...it will.

Kay