[Gpdd] HEALTH - Elvis, Ozzy Very Sick

Marsha Neely matilda at ptsi.net
Sun Aug 26 11:24:15 EDT 2007

SUBJECT:  HEALTH - Elvis, Ozzy very sick

    I have a real medical emergency.  Middle of last week, Elvis quit eating
and less than one day later, he started having seizures...some really
violent, some very mild, but lots of seizures.  I took him to my vet, who is
a good vet even with exotics.  At first he was saying that Elvis had a high
fever that was causing the fits.  To make a long story short, these are the
things I have been told to do so far:  reduce stress (so I moved him to my
bedroom and moved all my stuff, including the phone, out, covered 1/3 of his
cage to give him a quiet corner, put in a small lamp with soft light for
night, and a green glow night light to leave on all night); keep food and
water in his cage (clean water every day which he does not attempt to drink,
fresh vegis/fruit every few hours which he has not been eating, pellets
which it looks like he just scattered out); Nutri-Cal 3 times each day (I
can't even get it in his mouth); antibiotic shot each day with which my
neighbor helps;  vitamin C by mouth twice a day which can also be injected
(the vet gave me a large bottle of pure C he had at his office); Ivermectin
shot yesterday which I had to fight for; and liquid Valium for the seizures
which I have now cut the dosage in half.  I took  him to the vet 3 times
this week and I bugged the crap out of them more times than I can count.  We
have ONE vet in town open 8:30-5:30 Monday through Friday and closed on the
weekends.  I have his cellphone number, but I don't think calling him is a
good thing right now.  Bless little Elvis' heart, he has been such a
fighter.  I keep expecting the very worst every morning, but he's just not
giving up.  He's so weak, but the seizures seem to have slowed since the
ivermectin shot early yesterday.
    A couple of days after Elvis showed symptoms, Ozzy seems to be following
in his tracks.  Now I have two of them in my bedroom, getting all the same
treatment, except Ozzy has not had the seizures.  Friday, their vet said
that the meds are not killing Elvis' bacterial infection the way they should
be, but I think that may be better today.  Both of my boys are 3 1/2 year
(Ozzy will be 4 on November 7th, Elvis won't be 4 until February 1st next
year).  Another thing, I have 2 females who are exposed to exactly the same
things as the boys, and the girls seem to be just fine.  I handle the boys
more, because the girls don't really care to be cuddled too much.  The girls
have not had floor time in the same room as the boys for a few weeks, and
that is the only difference.  A friend of mine was having problems with her
brand new guinea pig which came from Petco in Dallas, so I helped her out.
This is the reason I fought for the Ivermectin.  I was worried about mange
mites, but there are no visually apparent sores on any of the pigs.
    I would appreciate any help I can get from anyone.  Please email me
directly or through gpdd if you have any suggestions.  All help will be
greatly appreciated, even if you feel that the suggestions may sound odd.  I
don't care.  I just need help!

Thanks,
Marsha
The Bejabbers (StinkerBelle, Ozzy, Trixie, Elvis)
Bart, the big dog
In memory of Muttley, PitterPatty, and Baby
www.bejabbers5.blinkz.com