[Gpdd] [health] Ovarian cysts and [silly] DAPS

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 12:31:50 EDT 2007

Hi Nicolle,

So sorry to hear Ryvvir has ovarian cysts. I thought Guiny had them too some
time ago, my vet agreed with me... but based mainly on me describing Guiny
rumblestrutting a lot and the lumps she had. She said she only knew of
spaying, but said she would ask around for other treatments, through the
GPDD and a dutch guinea pig forum my sister is on, we found out about the
HCG hormone shots. But I also wasn't convinced that these work, this being
based on several stories and a woman who runs a shelter for OD piggies and
'normal' piggies, who tried the shots on at least 50 pigs and it worked on
only one... I don't mean to discourage you but it made me doubt if it was
worth it. these HCG shots need to be prepared and used all at once (or at
least at the same day) which makes it pretty expensive since the leftover
will be thrown out, and the hormone apparently isn't cheap.
I wanted to tell you about the draining of the cysts, but Kay beat me to it.
This of course is an option, but will very likely have to be repeated (but
of course is a lot less risky then surgery).

fortunately Guiny's lumps and thinner hair went away by itself, so i never
really had to make this decision, but i know it is very hard to make it.
Whatever you do, you will try to choose what's best for Ryvvir. One thing I
took into account for Guiny was that at that time Guiny was around 3 years
old and still quite healthy, so it probably would be the best time for her
to have such a surgery... but of course when it wasn't necessary, i was
really glad she did not have to have the surgery!

Kay, Dunya was wondering that if you started this DAPS, how much she was
allowed to weigh? Like under a kilo (1000 grams...). Dunya has always been a
small piggie, probably because she got pregnant real young, I just weighed
her and she weighed  910g! She has become a bit heavier since she got here
weighing only 690 grams! But she would really like to be part of a special
piggie society too!! But of course she also considers herself to be a member
of the special running team the Thunderbears too! Dunya sends her love to
all the Thunderbears, especially Stuart, thinking about them celebrating
Suus' birthday in Eindhoven right now...

Guiny and Lotje send their wheeks and piggie kisses to all piggies who are
just 'normal weight' like them!
Grtz Mieke and the winky girls

pandameisje at gmail.com
pandameisje at hotmail.com