[Gpdd] HEALTH Broken incisor

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Aug 28 04:48:05 EDT 2007

Hello Kelly,

Pancake's broken tooth should not cause any problems. When I have a Piggyfriend with a broken incisor, I check their mouth to see if any bits are lodged inside and see if the tooth is loose, in which case it will probably fall out. If this happens and there is any blood the area can be cleaned with a saline solution.

If it is just a break in the tooth, it will grow back quickly - maybe a couple of weeks - depending on how far down the break occurred. Any of my piggies with a broken tooth have just needed their veggies grated until the tooth has re-grown. They have been able to eat their grass and dry food as normal.

Watch Pancake carefully to make sure that he is eating and drinking. If he is having trouble picking up his food you may need to help him for a few days but hopefully he will not need this.

Thinking of Piggyfriends past, it was always boars who managed to break their teeth, always the persistent wire chewers demanding immediate attention and food.

The Piggyfriends send their love and wheeks to Pancake and hope that his tooth is soon perfect again.

Penny.