[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Claude update

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 12:03:18 EDT 2007

Jaime, thank you so very much for remembering Claude in your prayers. It
must be doing some good, because he is still hanging on in there. I feel a
little embarrassed posting about him, because I have not taken him to a vet and  do
not really know what the problem is, and I know that sounds irresponsible.
It's just that I don't have local access to a vet that knows piggies, and if I
go to my local vet, she will just ask me what I think the problem is and what
 the Internet suggests as treatment, or she will give me Marbocyl tablets
(related to Baytril). As she doesn't really know him (although she did once
stitch a wound on his chest - the only time she has ever been able to help any
of my piggies), she wouldn't be able to see anything wrong, other than that he
is very thin and light. She would ask me if he is eating, drinking and
poohing,  which he is, and he is lively and sociable. So she wouldn't even see any
symptoms to treat. He did have blood in his urine some time ago, but I treated
 that myself with Bactrim and he no longer has that problem.

I think I said before, I could take him to the UK for treatment, but I made
the decision not to put him through the trauma of the journey  -he has
already crossed the Channel twice. He lived alone for his first 3 years before
being castrated at the CCT and moving in with his harem, and he is just such a
different pig since he's had his girlies - I couldn't bring myself to separate
him from them. I could maybe take him to Paris, but that is still a long trip
(4  hours each way), and would they be able to do anything for him?

So - I bring him in at night for warmth, and only put him out with his
girlies if it is warm during the day. He has a big Critical Care ball each night
and morning - I am trying to transfer him to Galen's Garden Nutri-powder, as it
 is easier to obtain here in France, but he doesn't like it - and a tomato
each  evening as well as the usual salads they all get. He eats more slowly than
the  others, but well - I have tried to examine his teeth and can't see a
problem. He  can still chomp carrots and pellets. He is kind of maintaining his
weight around  650g (but the norm for him was 1100g), but I can see he's not
right. He is not  suffering, I don't think, as he runs around and wheeks for
food and even  head-butts the girls sometimes. But his posture when he walks is
not like the  others - more hunched, his back legs more extended.

I recently went to the UK for my mother's 80th birthday, and was so afraid
that Claude would leave for The Bridge during my absence, so it was a huge
relief to find him still here. I don't think he has long though - I consider him
to be on "hospice", so he gets spoilt - tomatoes, orange, fresh grass, corn
silk  ... . He would be 5 on 15th November this year, but I doubt he'll make
it. He is  the oldest surviving Dolly Mixture, though only by a couple of
months, and I  dread him leaving, as it will seem like the beginning of the end. His
brother,  Pipsqueak, crosses the Channel frequently and visits now and again,
and he still  seem in fine health, although I know for a fact he is not
cosseted as much as  Claude, and he is a lone pig. Maybe quality is more important
than quantity when  it comes to a life?

Goodness, this was not meant to be so long, sorry!

Debbie (and the 14 Dolly Mixtures)