[Gpdd] BREEDING. Piggies together

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Aug 30 15:10:20 EDT 2007

Amy,

A boar and a sow living together will want to mate and, yes, this is perfectly normal. Have you ever read the story "Pigs is Pigs"? You will soon be overrun with piggies if you do not separate your boars and sows.

You didn't say how old your babies are but baby boars and sows must be separated as soon as they are weaned ( 3-4 weeks ) otherwise there is a risk of the baby sows being mated by their brothers. Piggies mature very early in life and are perfectly capable of producing offspring but this is not a good idea for the sake of the little sow's health so please separate your little ones straight away. If they have been together for a month, there is every chance that Cutie could be pregnant. You may not see them mating but if you are certain of their sexes, there is every possibility that they have done so when you were not watching them.

Why not introduce Cutie to Buttercup and pair them up? You may be able to pair up Heff and Willie if you go about it the right way. I always have my boars in pairs. Look at http://www.susieandpigs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/options2.htm for lots of help with the introductions. It needs to be done very carefully and with you watching them to make sure that it goes well.

Good luck with your piggies,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.