[Gpdd] HEALTH: Snuffles update

texg at cavyinfo.com texg at cavyinfo.com
Thu Dec 6 23:23:54 EST 2007

This afternoon we went back to the vet for a recheck. Snuffles has
been battling an abscess since July; he's had two major surgeries, and
the vet's trying to avoid a third. The abscess is in his chin/neck, in
a spot that makes surgery delicate - no "slice and drain". For the
past month we've kept the exudate in check with daily injections, hot
compresses and opening and flushing the small fistula the still
continues to drain.

Unfortunately, swelling has started again - going inward. We're
concerned that it may impair his tounge, and ability to eat. Before
doing yet another surgery (risky because of the close proximity of the
nerves to the tongue), we decided to do a needle aspiration, culture
the pus, and see if a different antibiotic might work. Otherwise, it's
under the knife again.

Poor little pig.

Tex